Thursday, December 16, 2010

Back to School

I officially enrolled into graduate school today.  I decided to get an MBA in Sustainable Management at the Presidio Graduate School (There will definitely be more post on this in the future).

Of course, a big part of the enrollment process is the admissions essay. I actually really enjoyed writing the admission essay, it allowed me to collect my thoughts, put down my beliefs and set some goals. Below is (a slightly edited version of) my admissions essay.
     The two words “power” and “energy” are profound to me. In their basic definitions these words generally mean the same thing; the capability of doing or accomplishing something. In their mathematical sense power and energy – as watts and joules – are understandable, technical, and quantifiable. These two words become much more abstract when they are used in their philosophical sense, control and action. It is at the intersection of the two senses of these two words that I see opportunities emerging, which if driven by sustainable principles, will have tremendously positive environmental, social, and economic impacts. I am pursuing a MBA in Sustainable Management because want to be at the center of this intersection. 
     The smart grid is an example of a place where I see the two senses of power and energy intersecting. Another intersection can be found in the development of intelligent buildings and their use of Building Management Systems. The addition of information in both these energy networks is making the power we use more powerful. Information networks are being added into every level of our energy networks and the full integration of these two networks will have a radical effect on the way we live. Ultimately, I believe the advancements to our energy networks will be similar to “Web 2.0”, where the Internet evolved from a consumption based model to a participatory model. In the near future, our energy networks will also be participatory, as our actions will create information and that information in turn will shape our actions. I want to take action now in order to shape the future. 
     The smart grid is already starting to communicate information about the power we receive. This soliloquy of information is quickly growing into a chorus with the development of smart buildings, the expansion distributed generation, and the advances in energy storage. A major challenge ahead of us will be the successful orchestration of the information in the network, but when we are able to organize, analyze and act upon this information I believe it will have a disruptive effect on the way we use power. I want to prepare myself to take on these challenges. 
     Currently the smart grid attempts to provide real-time communication of energy cost, overall demand, and aggregate use. Unfortunately, this limited data has limited usefulness. I see us reaching a critical mass of information with the increase in use of Building Management Systems. The power of these systems is in their ability to collect detailed energy usage data from enabled devices while also providing operational control. In the future “information appliances” will replace thermostats and connect to intelligent appliances and other peripherals via Bluetooth, WiFi, or power line communication. These products will also interface with applications for your computer, mobile phone or iPad that will give the ability to monitor usage, create automation programs, or simply switch of them off. I want to develop responsible products for evolving markets. 
     Just as electricity can literally be transformed to fit any application, the information shared within energy networks should also follow an open protocol model. If the information in these networks is open and transparent we will not only be able to provide flexible and feature rich functionality, we will be providing a sustainable foundation for innovation. This is type of sustainability that expands on general definition understood today. I want to apply the principles of sustainability to facets of business beyond the environmental. 
     These are my goals and why I have chosen to pursue a MBA at the Presidio Graduate School. I am doing this because believe that sustainable principles are built out of need, not want. I am doing this because my LEAN construction background has taught me that inefficiency equals opportunity. Most of all, I am doing this is because in believe the idea of positive externalities and that sustainability can create abundance. I believe that the Presidio Graduate School and an MBA in Sustainable Management will give me the best opportunity to learn the skills, acquire the experiences and find the resources I need to make a positive impact on the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment